We judge or perceive someone’s competence when we see them on their feet presenting – not on everything else they do, so presentation skills training in business is incredibly important. A great financial director can help a business run smoothly and efficiently, but if they deliver a lifeless, boring speech at the company conference, those watching will remember that element of the presentation rather than the actual financial state of the business.
Most people have been on a standard presentation skills course at some time in their life, but that often doesn’t help when you have a particular event coming up or when you need to work on something very specific to you. Our 121 coaching programmes can help you focus on your precise needs or help you prepare for an important speaking occasion in your life.
Our coaches come from business / corporate backgrounds and can help you apply public speaking learning and skills to real life.
121 Public speaking skill building - take your speaking skills to the next level
Delivering speeches or presentations at key industry, political, corporate or client or even personal events can be both exhilarating and stressful. Although your public speaking ability is just a small part of your skill set it is disproportionately important.
It’s harsh, but true, that many people (stakeholders, customers and staff) will judge your whole competence by what they see of you when you’re presenting in a public forum, not on everything else you do the rest of the year!
Our public speaking coaching is designed to support people to hone their skills and build the capacity to meet any public speaking/ presentation challenge with confidence.
You already speak and clearly know the basics, but need a little focused, individual support in key areas, taking you from a competent speaker to a powerful, influential one!
What we do – content
- Our expert coaches will develop a specific 1 2 1 coaching programme with you.
We do this using a skills self-audit and a benchmark speech/ presentation, and together with you, we will agree a development agenda from that.
- For each chosen topic area, we will teach a short segment on key content, background, knowledge tips, techniques etc, ask you to apply it and then review your output and give you detailed feedback.
- To finish the programme, you would typically do a final speech/ presentation for review and to demonstrate how far you’ve progressed.
How we do it – methodology
- We work with you, through a series of sessions, developing your skills.
- These can be delivered remotely, face to face or a blend of both, whichever works best for you. The sessions fit around you.
- We use coaching software that enables you to record remotely and receive online feedback.
- The programme is usually delivered across four or eight 90 minute sessions.
Topics covered can include any of the following:
Managing Attention Spans
Audience Centricity and Analysis
Making an Impact
Personal Impact and Appearance
Presenting as a team
Chairing / Moderating meetings
121 Event specific coaching - exactly what it says!
For when it really matters…
Many people have, every now and then, a public speaking event that really matters, either in their business, political, or even social life. It could be a key note speech, a speech at a conference or kick-off event, a selection interview presentation or a wedding speech. But it’s an event that really matters and you need to get it right and be the best that you can be.
You probably already know the basics, been on a presentation skills course, but what you really need is some focused and individual support with this specific speech, to make it a resounding success!
We can help!
We can provide you with some time and cost-efficient coaching that will enable you to get professional input where you need it, with practice and feedback that will make all the difference to your speech.
Coaching can be face to face, remote or a blend, enabling you to utilise timings that work best for you. The programme is designed to be flexible and work around your busy lifestyle. It’s always 121, to maximise the benefits to you.
We offer end to end support including:
- Psychological preparation
- Content and structure of the speech / presentation
- Speech writing
- Delivery and rehearsal of the speech / presentation
We can also include voice coaches and professional newsreaders where appropriate
Typically, this programme takes between 4- 5 hours (depending how long your speech is and how much prep time you want to give it) and can be done over 3-6 weeks.
Contact us now to book your coach to help you to deliver the best public speaking performances when you most need it!
Virtual presentation skills - perfecting the extra skills needed
Post Pandemic, many people are spending a greater proportion of their time in online meetings and presentations than face to face-to-face one. It has become a vital workspace.
There is an overlap between remote meeting and presentation skills and live ones BUT in many respects, it is quite different.
For example, your voice. In a normal meeting or presentation, you have to ensure your voice is audible and engaging but you also have your body language to help get your message across. Without the benefit of that for virtual presentations, you have to work twice as hard with your voice to ensure you are clear and engaging. You need to be able to skilfully deploy your vocal pace, pitch and modulation.
Typically, this is very different from day to day speaking and without proper training, people end up sounding very dull and losing their audience.
Other virtual presentation skills we include are:
- What good content and structure looks like and how it differs from F2F events
- How to handle the technology and avoid or mitigate against, the inevitable technical glitches
- How to leverage the functionality of popular platforms (e.g. Zoom, Teams, Google Meet etc)
- How to keep your audience engaged (and stop them reading emails!)
- Physical delivery skills for video calls/ webinars
- How to hand Q&As effectively (and what to do if no one asks questions!)
- Avoiding the top 10 pitfalls
Patricia is a Certified Virtual Presenter, and once you have perfected your skills with us, we can support you to to gain your certification.
We work with our clients individually, looking at the personal, business and technical aspects of their presentations. If you would like to discuss any other presentation / public speaking requirements not outlined here (eg group coaching, speech writing etc), please do contact us.